Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Review & Swatches: E.L.F. Mini Makeup Collection

FINALLY my E.L.F. stuff came in the mail! So here's the first review!

E.L.F. Mini Makeup Collection

Here's the picture and description from the website:


"The convenient makeup collection for eyes, lips and face that allows you to be your own makeup artist whenever, wherever.
•An all-in-one compact including the must have makeup essentials
•Create any look that reflects your personal style
•The small sleek design is great for on the go beauty touchups

Includes:
-9 eyeshadow shades
-1 cream eyeshadow shade
-1 blush
-1 bronzer
-10 lip gloss shades
-1 brow powder
-1 eye liner pencil
-1 dual ended eyeshadow appliacator and brush
-1 face brush
-1 lip brush

Dimensions:
Closed:4"L x 4"W x 1"H
Open:8"L x 5"W x 1"H"


First impressions: When I opened the box and took it out I was surprised, the packaging is a really nice, sturdy feeling matte black plastic (so it doesn't pick up fingerprints!) The entire inside of the lid is a non-magnifying mirror, and the parts that slide out are surprisingly sturdy as well, they don't feel like they could just fall off at any moment or something like that. the colors are pretty safe, but look like they would easily flatter most women and could be used to create a lot of looks.

Pictures: (I've labeled the eyeshadows and lipglosses for swatches later)







Eyeshadows: These are pretty typical for E.L.F. eyeshadows, maybe slightly better because they're from the "studio" line. they go on smoothly with little fallout and have a nice color payoff if you use a decent base (I like a regular stick concealer). There are three shades of brown, one champagne color, a dark turquoise and a dark green. Once you slide it out it reveals three more shades: a light shimmery silver, a gunmetal, and a shimmery black, which would probably make a nice smokey eye. There's also one shimmery white cream shadow that I'm not too much of a fan of, it's kind of sticky like lipgloss but could make a nice base for the eyeshadows, I'm not sure about the lasting power of it though. the only colors I didn't really like were the turquoise and green, they're kind of dark and dull, I feel like if they wanted to add a bright color or two they should have made them either really bright, or just stuck to neutrals.

Lipglosses: I have to say these are actually really nice, the texture isn't strictly gloss though - they're more like a lipgloss/stick hybrid, some leaning more towards lipstick. At first I tried to apply them with the lip brush (which sucks, more on that later) and was really disappointed, I find they look a lot better if I apply them with my finger for more of a stained effect. Like the eyeshadows, the colors are "safe", "your lips only better" sort of colors. At the top is a clear gloss with iridescent shimmer that I would LOVE if the shimmer in it didn't feel so gritty. Like the eyeshadow side, there's three more shadows, which are deeper and darker.

The Other stuff: The blush is a peachy pink with gold shimmer, and the bronzer is just...bronze, with gold shimmer. I personally don't use bronzer but I imagine it would make a nice contouring powder or even eyeshadow if you're into neutrals (I am!). there's also a brow powder that's a medium brown color, I don't use brow powder but like the bronzer it would probably make a nice eyeshadow. The only thing I see wrong with it is that it has shimmer in it, I don't know who wants shimmery eyeshadows but I don't.

The eyeliner is the normal Brightening Eye Liner in Black, I personally don't like pencil eyeliner but it works nicely as a brow pencil. The tools they give you to apply the makeup suck, frankly. The "face brush" is blunt, thick plastic bristled, and incredibly small. the lip brush is alright but it's WAY too small and pointed, you have to be very careful using it with the lipglosses or you end up digging the brush into the gloss and scooping out a clump of it. The eyeshadow applicator is just a plain sponge applicator, the website says it's a "dual ended eyeshadow applicator and brush" but I'm having a hard time finding the brush part of it.

Swatches:
(Eyeshadows are swatched on the back of my hand using a sponge applicator with liquid foundation as a base. Lipglosses are swatched on the back of my hand with the lip brush, no base. Also, I know the non-flash pictures are a little blurry, forgive me, my macro function is acting strange)

eyeshadows without flash


eyeshadows with flash


lipglosses with flash


lipglosses without flash



Overall: I don't think I would buy this for $15 but as a free gift I like it. It would be nice for travel since it contains enough eyeshadow and gloss to create a few basic looks and it could take your makeup from day to night. I wish they would have skipped the brow powder (or made the blush and bronzer slightly smaller and put the brow powder alongside them) and used the extra space for slightly better brushes. If you're planning on using this on the go I'd suggest buying a small travel set of brushes to use with it.

1 comment: